Earlier this week Paramount Home Entertainment announced
that October 2nd
will see the release of Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Complete Series
, a new set with all seven seasons included. No further info was available at that time, and the studio itself is still keeping their cloaking device on about the details.
However, our friends over at online retailer DVDEmpire have now posted their pre-order listing
for this package, and it contains information about the pricing and extras found on this set. Here is a list of what we can learn from DVDEmpire.com:
- List price is $530.00 SRP (DVDEmpire is discounting it to $418.70)
- Audio is "ENGLISH: Dolby Digital 5.1" (so were the previous season set releases)
- Packaging will be a "Custom Case" (as I'm sure we all suspected, but we're dying to know what it will look like!)
- Content will be "Seasons 1-7 of Star Trek: The Next Generation plus a Bonus Disc"
- The Bonus Disc will contain "Three Brand New Featurettes and Much More!"
It certainly doesn't answer all of our questions, but there are a few good pieces of info in there. To put the pricing into perspective, for a 7-Season set the $530 SRP comes to around $75 bucks a season. With discounts, we're looking at roughly $60-per-season as a street price. That's high, but not too far out-of-line, especially if the special packaging is truly special and if the extras turn out to be really cool. Here's hoping! Stay tuned, and we'll update you when we find out more.