This past Friday we reported
that Warner Home Video would release a pair of titles, Saturday Morning Cartoons - 1960's Volume 1
and Saturday Morning Cartoons - 1970's Volume 1
on DVD this coming May 19th
. Each 2-disc set would contain classic cartoons drawn from Warner's vast library of classic animation. We included a list, procured directly from Warner's password-protected press/retailer site, of the contents of both releases. In our update
the following Monday (three days ago), we passed along that we and fans had noticed some issues and discrepancies with the provided list of contents. We shortly began hearing that the info we had was not correct, finalized info, and by yesterday afternoon had Warner updated the listings at their retailer/press site with corrected info, which we'll list in full in just a moment.
In our update this past Monday, we also noted that we had heard that the Featurettes included as extras on both titles would include interviews with animation expert Jerry Beck. We ran by Jerry's site, Cartoon Brew
, and noted that he had the identical new info there plus a bit of additional info about the Featurettes. So we're including that in the listing below. Jerry also talked about these releases, of course, in his Stu's Show call-in interview
yesterday; if you missed it, visit Shokus Internet Radio to catch a schedule for a re-run of that broadcast.
It's also worth noting that in the discussion forums at GoldenAgeCartoons.com, the person posting as "Daws Butler Jr." said
that "I did do an interview for these sets, as did Jerry Beck and Mark Evanier.
" The late Daws Butler voiced many cartoon characters, including Quick Draw McGraw, Yogi Bear, Elroy Jetson, Augie Doggie, and too many others to name here. Mark Evanier, of course, is another animation expert, and - like Jerry Beck - is both a regular interviewee and/or commentator on appropriate cartoon DVD releases (and another a regular guest at Stu's Show
; he was just on there again the past week).
We also want to take a moment and address a few reader comments that this isn't the first time a studio has released "Saturday Morning Cartoon"-themed DVDs. Yes, that's accurate: Rhino got the ball rolling with their 2005 release Saturday Morning With Sid & Marty Krofft
, and last May the folks at Shout! Factory put out Hiya, Kids!: A '50s Saturday Morning
. Did we miss any? Possibly, but you get the idea! Our thanks (we guess) to the folks who wanted to make sure that "Saturday Morning-related DVD accuracy" was maintained.
Let's get to the revised lists of content now. In our most recent story this past Monday, we linked to an online trailer
which shows scenes that didn't match the cartoons provided in last Friday's original announcement. And Monday's story also showed off cover art which had characters which matched the trailer, not the announcement lists. The error was with the original lists (sorry if that means you won't get something you were pleased to find in the original lists), and you'll see that the new lists of cartoons below will match both the trailer and the existing package art. In fact, Warner has also provided a larger look at the 1960's collection package art, which we have at the bottom. We're still waiting for larger art for the 1970's collection, which may not be finalized yet (we're honestly not certain that the 1960's box art is final yet, either). Both titles are up for pre-order at Amazon, and the links to those entries are provided as part of the title for each listing below. As before, the lists below are copies-and-pastes of the studio info (except for the "Featurettes" info, which comes from Jerry Beck's Cartoon Brew site):
- Saturday Morning Cartoons - 1960's Volume 1
Re-live your childhood with this collection of 14 cartoons featuring some of the following beloved characters: Top Cat, Peter Potamus, Porky Pig, Quick Draw McGraw and many more! (308 minutes)
- Disc 1:
- Top Cat - The Tycoon
- Atom Ant/Precious Pup/Hillbilly Bears - Up & Atom/Precious Jewels/ Woodpecked
- The Peter Potamus Show (with Breezly & Sneezly and Yippee, Yappee, Yahooey) - Fe Fi Fo Fun/All Riot on the Northern Front/The Volunteers
- Secret Squirrel/Squiddly Diddly/Winsome Witch - Sub wiper/Way Out Squiddly/Prince of a Pup
- The Flintsones - The Happy Household
- Porky Pig Show, The - Porky Pig Show #1: Often an Orphan/Mice Follies/The Super Snooper
- The Quick Draw McGraw Show (with Snooper & Blabber and Auggie Doggie) - Dynamite Fright/Outer Space Case/Growing Growing Gone
- Disc 2:
- Jetsons - Rosey the Robot
- Marine Boy - Battle to Save the World
- Space Ghost/Dino Boy - The Heat Thing/The Worm People/Zorak
- Herculoids - The Beaked People / The Raider Apes
- Frankenstein Jr. & The Impossibles - The Shocking Electric Monster/The Bubbler/The Spinner
- The Magilla Gorilla Show (with Punkin Puss and Ricochet Rabbit) - Gridiron Gorilla/Small Change/Atchinson, Topeka and San Jose
- Bonus Episode:
- The Quick Draw McGraw Show (with Snooper & Blabber and Auggie Doggie) - Dough Nutty/El Kabong Was Wrong/Gem Jam
- Bonus Documentaries on QUICK DRAW McGRAW, MAGILLA GORILLA, FRANKENSTEIN JR. and THE IMPOSSIBLES.
- Saturday Morning Cartoons - 1970's Volume 1
Re-live your childhood with this collection of 12 cartoons featuring some of the following beloved characters: Speed Buggy, Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan, Funky Phantom and many more! (314 minutes)
- Disc 1:
- The Jetsons - The Space Car
- The Batman/Tarzan Adventure Hour - The Pest / Tarzan and the City of Gold
- Hong Kong Phooey - Car Thieves/Zoo Story
- Goober and the Ghost Chasers - Assignment Ahaab Apparition
- Speed Buggy - Speed Buggy Went That-a-way
- Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch - Double Cross Country/The Infiltrator/The Stunt Show
- Disc 2:
- Yogi's Gang - Greedy Genie
- Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan - Scotland Yard
- Roman Holidays - Double Date
- Josie & the Pussycats - The Nemo's A No No Affair
- The New Scooby-Doo Movies - The Ghostly Creep From the Deep
- Funky Phantom - I'll Haunt You Later
- Bonus Documentaries on THE FUNKY PHANTOM, JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS and THE CHAN CLAN.