FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASETAKES VIEWERS BEYOND THE HOSPITAL WITH
AN INTIMATE LOOK AT LIVES ON THE
CIVIL WAR BATTLEFIELD AND HOME FRONT
Stars Josh Radnor, Mary Elizabeth Winstead,
Gary Cole, Donna Murphy, And Many Others
Arlington, VA; January 6, 2017 - PBS Distribution announced it is releasing MERCY STREET SEASON 2
, the much-acclaimed Civil War-era drama set in the occupied city of Alexandria, Virginia, on DVD and Blu-ray. Allegiances blur, loyalties shift and the drama intensifies as the scope of the war pushes beyond Mansion House, the former hotel commandeered by northern troops to serve as a Union hospital.
Executive produced by Ridley Scott (The Martian, Gladiator, Thelma and Louise
and The Good Wife
); David W. Zucker (The Good Wife
and The Man in the High Castle
) of Scott Free; Lisa Q. Wolfinger (Desperate Crossing, the untold story of the Mayflower
) and David Zabel (ER
), the series follows the doctors, nurses and soldiers, as well as free, enslaved and contraband African Americans and other residents of the war-torn city, as they navigate the new world emerging from the most cataclysmic event in our country's history.
MERCY STREET SEASON 2
will be available on DVD and Blu-ray February 14, 2017. The run time of the program is approximately 360 minutes on 2 discs. The SRP of the DVD is $39.99 and the SRP of the Blu-ray is $49.99. The first season of MERCY STREET
, which premiered in January 2016, reached a total audience of 14 million people. It is the second highest rated drama for the year to date on PBS, after Downton Abbey
MERCY STREET SEASON 2
picks up directly from the dramatic events at the end of the first season finale, continuing to explore life in the chaotic city of Alexandria, the complicated interpersonal dynamics of Dr. Foster, Nurse Mary and the Mansion House staff, the increasingly precarious position of the Green family and the changing world of the burgeoning black population. The second season will introduce a number of new elements, taking the viewer closer to the war and into the halls of Confederate power, all set against the intensifying war, starting with the Seven Days' Battle and culminating with Antietam.
The new season also delves deeper into the lives of newly freed African Americans, exploring - among other areas - life in a contraband camp, where formerly enslaved African Americans are forced to confront horrific living conditions and disease, but also get a glimpse of freedom.
New actors and guest stars introduced in MERCY STREET SEASON 2
- Patina Miller (Pippin, Madam Secretary, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Parts 1 & 2) as Charlotte Jenkins, an educated contraband abolitionist activist who arrives in the first episode. A former slave who escaped to freedom years before through the Underground Railroad, Charlotte (a composite of numerous historical figures, most prominently Harriet Jacobs) offers education to other former slaves and helps with the sick who have contracted smallpox, which was epidemic during the Civil War.
- Brían F. O'Byrne (Mildred Pierce, Aquarius) as Allan Pinkerton, head of the Union Intelligence Service. The character is based on the real Allan Pinkerton, a Scottish emigrant and abolitionist who founded America's first detective agency and successfully brought down some of the country's most ruthless criminals.
- Bryce Pinkham (A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, The Heidi Chronicles) as Maj. Clayton McBurney III, the new hospital chief.
- Lyne Renee (Of Kings and Prophets, Strike Back, The Hippopotamus) as Lisette Beaufort, a stylish and bold Parisian who has a past with Dr. Foster and creates a stir in the hospital when she accepts a commission with the Union Army in medical visual documentation.
- Chris Wood (The Carrie Diaries, Vampire Diaries) as Captain Lance Van Der Berg, a handsome young Union captain lodging at the Green home when he strikes up a budding romance with Alice Green, who has ulterior motives for the courtship.
- William Mark McCullough (Underground) as Larkin, a Confederate sympathizer in league with Jimmy Green, who helps formulate a plan to provide rebel fighters with munitions.
- Nyambi Nyambi (Mike & Molly) as Caleb, a contraband who arrives at Mansion House Hospital searching for a particular woman.
The returning ensemble cast for MERCY STREET SEASON 2
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead (BrainDead, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Returned, The Spectacular Now) as nurse Mary Phinney, a feisty New Englander and widow who is a newcomer at Mansion House Hospital.
- Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother, Liberal Arts, Broadway's Disgraced) as Dr. Jedediah Foster, the civilian contract surgeon who grew up in a privileged Southern slave-owning household as the son of a wealthy Maryland landowner.
- Gary Cole (Veep, The Good Wife, Entourage) as James Green, Sr., patriarch of the Green family, struggling to maintain his family business while living in an occupied city.
- Peter Gerety (Syriana, Charlie Wilson's War, Flight, God's Pocket, The Wire, Prime Suspect) as Dr. Alfred Summers, chief surgeon at Mansion House, who has risen to the rank of major by virtue of his age, not skill.
- Hannah James as Emma Green, an entitled Southern young woman who volunteers as a nurse at Mansion House Hospital, the facility established on the site of her family's luxury hotel.
- Brad Koed as James Green, Jr., working alongside his father in the family businesses while he desperately wants to be on the front lines for the Confederate cause.
- Norbert Leo Butz (Bloodline) as Dr. Byron Hale, an old-school army surgeon who lives life by the book. While Hale has an eye for the nurses, he has an ongoing relationship with Nurse Anne Hastings.
- Tara Summers (You're the Worst, Rake, Boston Legal) as nurse Anne Hastings, whose claim to fame is her experience working with Florence Nightingale in the Crimean War.
- McKinley Belcher III (Show Me a Hero, Chicago PD) as Samuel Diggs, a free black laborer harboring a secret knowledge of and ability in medicine, which he learned as a young servant.
- Jack Falahee (How to Get Away With Murder) as Frank Stringfellow, a Confederate spy who is betrothed to Emma.
- AnnaSophia Robb (The Carrie Diaries, The Way Way Back, Bridge to Terabithia) as Alice Green, Emma's younger sister who, initially frivolous and naive, becomes the most fervently committed member of her family.
- Donna Murphy (Resurrection, Hindsight, Broadway's Passion and The King and I) as Jane Green, wife of James Green, Sr.,and mother to three, the quintessential Southern matriarch.
- L. Scott Caldwell (Southland, Lost, ER, The Fugitive) as Belinda, the Green family servant adjusting to life as a free woman.
- Suzanne Bertish (Rome) as Hospital Matron Brannan, the formidable Irish head nurse who sees and knows all at Mansion House.
- Luke Macfarlane (Brothers and Sisters, Over There) as Chaplain Hopkins, who, with a dark past, is newly committed to God and his work.
New directors for MERCY STREET SEASON 2
MERCY STREET SEASON 2
- Stephen Cragg, (Scandal, Nashville, How to Get Away With Murder, ER, Boston Legal, Grey's Anatomy, Southland, Doogie Howser, MD) for Episodes 1 and 2.
- Laura Innes (How to Get Away With Murder, The Affair, Brothers & Sisters, The West Wing, Grey's Anatomy) for Episodes 3 and 4.
- Alexander Zakrzewski (Bosch, Blacklist, Tyrant, Salem, The Good Wife, The Wire, Oz, NUMB3RS) for Episodes 5 and 6.
was made possible by the Anne Ray Charitable Trust, the Virginia Film Office and the Commonwealth of Virginia, Visit Alexandria and public television viewers. MERCY STREET
is a production of Scott Free Productions and Lone Wolf Media, co-executive- produced by Clayton Krueger and producer David Rosemont. MERCY STREET
producer David A. Rosemont has produced more than 45 films for almost every major television studio, including ABC, NBC, CBS, Showtime, Lifetime, The History Channel and A&E, among others. Rosemont is best known for his work on the critically acclaimed Door to Door
(Emmy Award for Best Picture, 2003), Gifted Hands
starring Cuba Gooding, Jr. and America
starring Rosie O'Donnell. His recent credits include In My Dreams
and One Christmas Eve
,"for the Hallmark Hall of Fame and ABC, respectively.
MERCY STREET SEASON 2
Street Date: February 14, 2017
Run Time: Approximately 360 Minutes on 2 discs
SRP: DVD $39.99, Blu-ray $49.99
Format: DVD & Blu-ray
About Scott Free Productions
Scott Free Productions is the film and television production company of acclaimed filmmaker Ridley Scott. In the 20 years since Scott Free was formed, the company has earned over 70 Emmy nominations with 22 wins, and 20 Golden Globe nominations for its television projects. Current productions include the second season of the landmark series adaptation of Philip K. Dick's classic "The Man in the High Castle" for Amazon, a second season of the esteemed Civil War medical drama, "Mercy Street," season one of the Amazon half-hour action-comedy starring Jean-Claude Van Damme as "Jean-Claude Van Johnson," the forthcoming AMC historical anthology series "The Terror," "The Good Fight" a CBS all-access spin-off of "The Good Wife," and "Killing Reagan" the fourth in the acclaimed National Geographic channel series of "Killing" telefilms (prior record-setting broadcasts include "Killing Jesus" and "Killing Kennedy," both Emmy-nominated, plus the docudrama "Killing Lincoln"). Notable projects on the current development slate include "Vatican City" for Amazon, "3001: The Final Odyssey" for Syfy, and "Mrs. V. Mr." for CBS, as well as, limited series adaptations of "Blood & Thunder," the epic tale of Kit Carson and the conquering of the American West, and the best-selling non-fiction thriller "The Hot Zone."
Other hailed Scott Free productions include the Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated, Peabody-winning drama, "The Good Wife," which recently concluded its 7th and final season on CBS, as well as "Numb3rs," which ran for six successful seasons on the same network. Notable long form programs include "Klondike" for Discovery, the Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated "The Pillars of the Earth" for Starz, "World Without End" for Reelz, Emmy-nominated "Into the Storm" for HBO, Emmy-nominated "The Andromeda Strain" and "Coma" for A&E, the Golden Globe-nominated "The Company" at TNT and a feature-length digital series for X-Box/Microsoft, "Halo: Nightfall." Acclaimed non-fiction programs include "Crimes of the Century" and the Emmy-winning documentary special "Gettysburg" for History Channel. With offices in Los Angeles and London, Scott Free works closely with RSA Films, one of the world's largest and most successful commercial production houses in the world.
Lone Wolf Media
Lone Wolf Media is an independent television production company with a longstanding reputation for developing and producing award-winning programming across a variety of genres. Founded in 1997 by Kirk and Lisa Q. Wolfinger, Lone Wolf Media has grown since then to become a leader in factual entertainment. Recent primetime specials include "D-Day in HD" for History Channel and THE BOMB for PBS. Current projects include a 9/11 special about the attack on the Pentagon for PBS and a series of programs about World War 1 for Smithsonian Network. President and owner Lisa Q. Wolfinger created the new PBS American drama concept in collaboration with David Zabel, showrunner and lead writer on NBC's hit series "ER." MERCY STREET was inspired by the sesquicentennial of the Civil War and a shared passion for history.
About PBS Distribution
PBS Distribution is the leading media distributor for the public television community, both domestically and internationally, extending the reach of these programs beyond broadcast while generating revenue for the public television system, stations, and producers. PBS Distribution offers a broad range of high quality content in multiple formats including DVD, Blu-ray, digital download, and digital streaming. PBS International offers factual content for broadcast, cable, and satellite services internationally. The PBS Distribution catalog includes films from Ken Burns, documentaries from award-winning series such as NOVA, FRONTLINE, AMERICAN MASTERS, NATURE, and AMERICAN EXPERIENCE, dramas from MASTERPIECE, as well as films from independent producers and popular children's programming.