Tom Baker's acclaimed first season as the Fourth Doctor, originally aired in 1975/76. With his best friend Sarah Jane Smith and new companion Harry, the Doctor pits his wits against a giant robot, the insect Wirrn, Cybermen, Sontarans and Daleks.
We provided news
Twenty episodes, specially restored for Blu-Ray and packed with new and old special features. Build your own archive of classic Doctor Who seasons with this six-disc special 'limited edition packaging' boxset.
yesterday that a Blu-ray Disc release of Doctor Who - Tom Baker: Complete 1st Season
was up for pre-order at Amazon.com
, with an early October release date. Today that listing at the big e-tailer's USA site has been updated with a new date: Tuesday, June 26th
(two weeks and a day after the UK release of this item). Amazon.com also had the above-quoted description, and the following list of extras:
- Existing Extras:
- Existing bonus material from the original DVD's
- Brand New Bonus Features:
- Brand new one hour candid interview: 'Tom Baker in conversation'
- Behind The Sofa: classic clips from Season 12 viewed by Tom Baker, Philip Hinchcliffe, Louise Jameson, Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton and Sadie Miller
- New making-of documentaries for 'The Sontaran Experiment' and 'Revenge of the Cybermen'
- Optional brand new updated special effects for Revenge of the Cybermen
- Genesis of the Daleks: omnibus movie version
- The Tom Baker Years: VHS release on disc for the first time
- Production archive material and scripts from the BBC Archives
- Some other archive treats to be announced
As you can probably tell from the wording we've quoted, this list of bonus material may not be finalized yet, and could be subject to change. The Amazon listing does not yet have package art at this time; instead there is a temporary image of Tom Baker as the 4th Doctor. The description we quoted at the top mentions limited-edition packaging, however! The price shown continues to be $69.99 SRP, for a 6-disc set. The studio is now listed as "BBC Warner," and the full title is now displayed: Doctor Who - Tom Baker: Complete 1st Season
We don't have any official information at this time from either BBC Home Entertainment or their North American distributors, Warner Home Video. Stay tuned for that! If you live in Canada, you'll be happy to know that today Amazon.ca (the Canadian branch of the online seller) has added a pre-order listing
for the title. It's the identical thing, but with a list price north-of-the-border shown as CA$87.48 SRP. It also has the same date as the USA: June 26th
Don't forget, please, that these episodes were originally shot on video for standard-definition TV in the UK's "PAL" broadcast format, and that rather than being "true HD" on Blu-ray Disc, we expect the video for this box set to be upconverted from PAL to faux-HD. But we have yet to get formal word from the studio on that. Still, we want to set your expectations properly for this item. We'll bring you updates, as further info continues to arrive!