This morning our friends at BBC Video and distributor Warner Home Video announced that two more classic Doctor Who
DVD releases are coming to North America, and will be available on July 10th
. Both of these are new-to-DVD story arcs, and each brings us closer to completion of the available unreleased stories for the 2nd and 3rd Doctors!
The 1968/69 adventure starring Patrick Troughton, Doctor Who - Story #047: The Krotons
, will be released on the same day as the 1974 adventure starring 3rd Doctor Jon Pertwee in Doctor Who - Story #072: Death to the Daleks
. The latter also stars fan-favorite companion Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith, and was written by Dalek creator Terry Nation himself.
As usual, these releases sport both remastered picture and sound. Both are expected to be 1-disc releases, and priced at $24.98 SRP each. Pictures of the package art haven't been made available yet, and a finalized list of bonus material hasn't been provided by the studio so far, either. However, below is a preliminary list of extras along with all the other available info we have for each of these titles:
Doctor Who - Story #047: The Krotons (Patrick Troughton as the 2nd Doctor)
1 disc, 91 minutes, 4 episodes, full frame video, English mono audio, English subtitles, $24.98 SRP
Patrick Troughton stars as the Doctor, in which he finds the humanoid Gonds enslaved by the monstrous, crystalline Krotons. Along with his companions, Jamie and Zoe, the Doctor befriends the Gonds and enters the lair of their enemies. Can he halt the years of tyranny, and also escape with his life?
- Commentary with cast and crew
- Second Time Around: The Troughton Years
- Doctor Who Stories: Frazer Hines (Part 1)
- The Doctor's Strange Love: The Krotons
- Photo Gallery
Doctor Who - Story #072: Death to the Daleks (Jon Pertwee as the 3rd Doctor)
1 disc, 98 minutes, 4 episodes, full frame video, English mono audio, English subtitles, $24.98 SRP
A power failure in the TARDIS draws it off course, and the Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith end up stranded on the bleak planet of Exxilon. They soon meet members of an Earth expedition in a similar situation. The humans are searching for a rare mineral, but first they must find out what is draining their power and avoid what's inside another grounded spaceship - the Doctor's oldest enemies, the Daleks...
- Commentary - with actor Julian Fox (Peter Hamilton), Dalek operator Cy Town, director Michael E Briant, assistant floor manager Richard Leyland, costume designer L Rowland Warne and special sounds maestro Dick Mills. Moderated by Toby Hadoke.
- Beneath the City of the Exxilons - Cast and crew look back on the making of this story. With actor Arnold Yarrow, Julian Fox, Michael E. Briant, Richard Leyland, L Rowland Warne and fan and Dalek voice artist Nick Briggs.
- Studio Recording - A rare glimpse into the production of a Third Doctor story.
- On the Set of Dr. Who and the Daleks - Behind the scenes on the first Dalek film in 1965.
- Radio Times listings (DVD-ROM)
- Program subtitles
- Production information subtitles
- Photo gallery
- Coming Soon trailer
- Easter Egg