FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE"A-...China Beach is an outstanding television show with great production,
writing and acting. It is dramas like this that make the DVD format
worthwhile. There is a delicious opportunity for those who didn't see it,
hardly remember it or loved it to experience the show all over again.
Highly recommended." - DigitallyObsessed.com
"These episodes still tug at your heart - a lot. It's a great
set, and a wonderful show." - NPR's "Fresh Air"
CHECK INTO THE "FIVE AND DIME" AND BE TRANSPORTED TO
CHINA BEACH, AS STARVISTA ENTERTAINMENT AND TIME LIFE
RELEASE THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON OF
THE EMMY AWARD-WINNING TELEVISION LANDMARK
THE COMPLETE SEASON ONE
October 1, 2013
Last August, StarVista Entertainment and Time Life, in conjunction with Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, released CHINA BEACH: THE COMPLETE SERIES
, the very first time the groundbreaking television series had ever been released to the home entertainment marketplace. Distributed exclusively online in conjunction with its milestone 25th Anniversary, the beloved ABC-TV series - one of the most eagerly-anticipated, unreleased television programs of all time (TVShowsOnDVD.com) - in an extras-laden 21-disc collector's set created an undeniable buzz with both critics and consumers alike.
This October, as the early holiday season begins, StarVista Entertainment/Time Life will bring to market CHINA BEACH: THE COMPLETE SEASON ONE
. Featuring the iconic 2-hour pilot, "China Beach" and "China Beach
: How It All Began," an exclusive featurette that reviews the inspiration for the series, key storylines and themes, THE COMPLETE SEASON ONE
serves up eight complete episodes across three discs, along with numerous enlightening extras. Viewers checking into the 510th Evacuation Hospital and R&R center (otherwise known as the "Five and Dime") will have the chance to meet the strong, unforgettable women who populate the base, including Army nurse Colleen McMurphy (Dana Delany), Red Cross newcomer Cherry White (Nan Woods), singer Laurette Barber (Chloe Webb) and civilian worker K.C. Kolowski (Marg Helgenberger). Other episodes include "Home," which finds McMurphy questioning her hatred for a Vietnamese nurse when the latter goes into labor after taking an American's life, "Hot Spell," in which K.C. and Cherry confront dangerous black marketeers on the fringes of Da Nang, and the final episode of the season, "Chao Ong" which guest stars Nancy Sinatra.
With nearly all of the original music intact, including the memorable title sequence song, "Reflections
," by Diana Ross & The Supremes, hours of specially produced extras and complete episodes from the original broadcast masters, StarVista Entertainment/Time Life invites home viewers to "Hit the Beach" this October for a viewing experience they'll be sure to treasure forever.
- The 25th Anniversary Reunion, December 12, 2012; Los Angeles, CA
- Featurette - China Beach: How It All Began -- Creators and cast reunite and reminisce about the China Beach journey; includes interviews and behind-the-scenes footage
- Interviews with Dana Delany and Chloe Webb
- Pilot Episode Commentary by series co-creator and executive producer John Sacret Young and director/producer Rod Holcomb. Recorded November 2003.
ABOUT CHINA BEACH
In an era of testosterone-driven Vietnam movies such as Platoon, China Beach
- created by award-winning journalist and Vietnam vet William Broyles, Jr. and John Sacret Young - delivered the war from a unique perspective: that of the women, military personnel and civilians who were present during the conflict. Set in the Vietnam locale of China Beach, at the "Five and Dime" (also known as the 510th Evacuation Hospital and R&R center), the cast was made up of US Army doctors and nurses, officers, soldiers, Red Cross volunteers and civilian personnel, either on leave or at the end of their tour of duty. Many episodes and story lines were based on real-life stories of those who served, stories brought to rich life by a supremely talented ensemble cast featuring many actors beginning to make their marks on the industry, including Dana Delany (First Lieutenant/Captain Nurse Colleen McMurphy), Marg Helgenberger (K.C. Kolowski), Michael Boatman (SP4 Sam Beckett), Robert Picardo (Captain Dr. Dick Richard) and Ricki Lake (Holly Pelegrino). The other side of the camera boasted such accomplished talents as multiple Emmy Award-nominee series co-creator & executive producer John Sacret Young and co-executive producer John Wells, who would go on to executive produce "ER
" and "The West Wing
." A critically-acclaimed fan favorite during its four year run (1988-1992), the highly touted show and its cast were the recipients of numerous industry accolades and awards including one Golden Globe for Best Drama (1990), two Best Actress Emmy Awards for Dana Delany (1989, 1992), a Best Supporting Actress award for Marg Helgenberger (1990), a People's Choice Award for "Favorite New Dramatic TV Program" (1989), a prestigious Peabody Award, a Humanitas prize, a Writers Guild award, and 29 Emmy Award nominations in total.
CHINA BEACH: THE COMPLETE SEASON ONE
Street Date: October 1, 2013
DVD SRP: $22.95 (3 Discs)
Running Time: 8 hours
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0